Alex’ Projects ► Little Navmap - Frequently asked Questions
Little Navmap - Frequently asked Questions
See user manual for general known problems:
► User Manual - Known Problems.
See user manual for limitations and issues around Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020:
► User Manual - Known Problems - Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020.
Read the linked chapter below to minimize issues when loading flight plans into MSFS:
► User Manual - Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 Airports and Navdata.
Read below if you plan to use Little Navmap on a remote computer across a network to avoid common mistakes:
► User Manual - Network Setup.
Use your browser search function (usually
Ctrl+F for Windows and Linux or
⌘+F for macOS) to find topics or keywords.
- How to update the program
- Where are the log and configuration files?
- My anti-virus or anti-malware complains about Little Navmap
- Why can I see only the X-Plane connect option
- I found an issue or have a proposal
- The program crashes
- The program does not start and Windows shows an error message
- I’d like to completely remove the program and all of its traces
- SSL Initialization Error on Windows
- How can I create a flight plan
- The map is jumping around randomly while flying
- How to backup userdata or the logbook
- Navaids or airways are red in the flight plan table
- Search result is empty
- I get fuel flow indications that don’t match Little Navmap’s values
- Fuel planning and collection gives wrong fuel values
- I cannot see my aircraft
- The flight plan does not show up correctly in MSFS
Airports, scenery library and navigation data
- I cannot see any airports or navaids
- I added an airport and it does not show up in Little Navmap
- Search for airport by country, state or city does not work
- Airport runway numbers don’t match the runway numbers for procedures
- How to add procedures to airports?
- A MSFS add-on does not show up after reloading the scenery library in Little Navmap
- How can I update the navdata to the latest cycle
- I updated the navdata but it does not show up
- I cannot see aprons and taxiways on the map
- I cannot choose a start position
- Some procedures or procedure legs are marked red in the selection/search tree
- Navaids from the X-Plane
user_fix.datfiles do not show up in Little Navmap
User Interface and Windows
- How can I make the map window bigger
- How can I make the map window larger
- I cannot resize a dock window
- The map moves jerky or I see stutters in Little Navmap while scrolling or zooming
- Lines disappearing
- I cannot remove a traffic pattern, a holding or measurement lines
- Map is fuzzy and not updating
- The map has a grayish or dark background when zooming in
- Why isn’t the terrain mesh shown far North and South?
- Map background is black
- Can I run the program on another client computer across the network
- Can I see the program when running FSX, P3D, MSFS or X-Plane fullscreen
- The map window is not visible or shows only a gray surface
- Where is the options menu item on macOS
- I get a message complaining about an unidentified developer on macOS
- Cannot run Little Navmap or Little Xpconnect on macOS Catalina
X-Plane and Little Xpconnect
- I installed Little Xpconnect but cannot find it in the X-Plane menus
- A pop up window says my versions are not compatible Little Xpconnect needs to be updated
- Weather in X-Plane does not match what Little Navmap displays
- I get an error message about missing directories when loading X-Plane scenery
- Airports missing in X-Plane scenery after reloading
- I still see an older AIRAC cycle in the Scenery Libary menu for X-Plane
- Little Xpconnect does not load in Ubuntu 18.04 or derived Linux distributions
Frequently asked Questions and Issues
How to fix issues
You can try the following if you experience problems like crashes, freezes, a corrupted window layout or other issues.
First update Little Navmap if you’re not running the latest version.
Corrupted window layout or missing map window
If this does not help, try the suggestions below.
Quick and simple Solution
Go to the Little Navmap main menu
Tools and select Reset all Settings and restart. Little Navmap will show a question dialog and then restart after deleting all settings.
If this does not help, you can restore the settings file backup which was mentioned in the dialog.
More complicated but thorough option
Quit Little Navmap and rename the main settings folder
ABarthel which contains all
simulator databases and is stored in the following places:
Do not delete the folder, but rename it to keep your settings if this does not fix the problem.
Start Little Navmap and see if the issue is gone.
If this did not help: Quit Little Navmap. Delete
ABarthel which was just created newly by the program and rename your backup again to
ABarthel to get your
settings and databases back.
Report the problem
How to update the program
You might either:
- Delete the previous version of Little Navmap and install the new one in the same place.
- Install the new version in a new folder, e.g. by using the version as a directory name suffix.
In either case do not merge the two old and new directories. Remains of previous versions might cause trouble.
Always update all related programs like Little Navconnect and Little Xpconnect.
Where are the log and configuration files?
The files can be opened in the default text editor from menu ->
Files and Directories ->
Open Log File in Little Navmap.
For Windows these are:
Details can be found in the Files chapter in the manual.
My anti-virus or anti-malware complains about Little Navmap
This is usually a false positive.
I usually upload all Zip files to VirusTotal before making them public. This ensures that the files are checked by 50 or more anti-virus programs.
You can send your downloaded files to VirusTotal and you will get the report from my uploads immediately.
One false positive might occur and is no reason for concern.
Why can I see only the X-Plane connect option
Little Navmap comes with a SimConnect library version 10.0.61259.0 (FSX SP2 / no Acceleration) and does not require a separate installation of SimConnect.
The included SimConnect library is compatible with all FSX and P3D versions as well as Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020.
The X-Plane connect option is always shown. You probably installed Little Navmap on a computer that has no FSX, P3D or MSFS installation. See User Manual - Network Setup if you intend to run Little Navmap on a remote computer.
I found an issue or have a proposal
All ideas and bugs are collected in the Github Issues for Little Navmap.
First check if your idea or finding is already covered there.
If not you can register at Github and write an issue. Alternatively, you can send me an email and I put this on my internal list or create an issue for bigger tasks.
The program crashes
Rename the settings directory which also contains the scenery databases. In Windows these can be found in
The program does not start and Windows shows an error message
Windows shows an error message
cannot proceed because libmarblewidget-qt5.dll was not found or similar
when trying to start Little Navmap.
This can have several reasons:
- Not all files were extracted and the mentioned DLL file is missing. Check if it present in the same folder as the
- Anti-virus put the DLL into quarantine.
- You start the program using a shortcut (
.lnkfile) and the working directory is not the Little Navmap folder (the one with the
littlenamvmap.exe). The working directory can be changed in the link properties in input field
I’d like to completely remove the program and all of its traces
All files and folders created by Little Navmap are described in the chapter Files in the manual.
Little Navmap does not create any registry entries on Windows.
SSL Initialization Error
This is caused by a missing redistributable installation.
How can I create a flight plan
Zoom to an airport in the map and right click on it. Select
Set ... as Flight Plan Departure. Look for another airport
on the map, right click and select
Set ... as Flight Plan Destination.
That’s it. You just built a simple flight plan.
Have a look at the Tutorials which are also linked in the help menu. These help to get around in the program.
The map is jumping around randomly while flying
The map does not jump randomly. The level of zoom changes to keep aircraft and the next flight plan waypoint centered.
The default behavior is to keep aircraft and next flight plan waypoint on the screen once one flight plan leg is active (magenta), i.e. you’re flying. You can move around the map manually but LNM jumps back to aircraft and waypoint after a while. All this is configurable in options on page Simulator Aircraft.
You can also revert to simple aircraft centering, for example. The default values might be confusing first but they are like that to reduce the need for manual zooming.
If you switch to normal zooming you can change the level of zoom with the mouse wheel other other methods.
Please also read the note about the special gestures in the linked manual chapter above.
How to backup userdata or the logbook
One way to backup is export all into a CSV file. This covers all used fields.
You can also backup the database directly. The userpoints and logbook entries are stored in a SQLite database. If interested you can look into this database using tools like this one: SQLitebrowser
The main database is
little_navmap_logbook.sqlite respectively in
$HOME/.config/ABarthel/little_navmap_db/little_navmap_userdata.sqlite in macOS or Linux.
You have to close Little Navmap before creating a backup or replacing the databases.
Little Navmap also creates three rolling backups (
little_navmap_userdata.sqlite.1, etc.) on startup which you can use
if you deleted something accidentally.
Navaids or airways are red in the flight plan table
This can happen if you load a flight plan which was made using older navdata.
It might contain waypoints that were removed later or radio navaids that were decommissioned. These cannot be found in later AIRAC cycles and therefore not in Little Navmap’s database. These are shown in red and are treated like user defined flight plan waypoints in Little Navmap.
Airways are displayed in red if they do not exist or the minimum or maximum airway altitude restrictions are violated by the selected cruise altitude when loading the flight plan.
Search result is empty
Check the drop down menu for the change indicator
* and the search fields for any remaining text if the distance
search does not give any or unexpected results. Use
Reset Search in the context menu of
the result table or press
Ctrl+R to clear all search criteria.
Note that using an ICAO code for searching will temporarily override all other options. This helps to do a quick search for an airport.
I get fuel flow indications that don’t match Little Navmap’s values
Fuel flow in the tab
Performance of Little Navmap does not match to what the aircraft is showing.
An aircraft add-on probably uses doctored values to workaround simulator limitations. This happens often with complex study level add-ons and might affect fuel calculation, planning and especially collection.
Fuel planning and collection gives wrong fuel values
This is related to wrong fuel indications of an add-on aircraft. See above.
You can still create an aircraft performance profile manually and ignore the indications.
Set TAS and fuel flow for typical cruise level.
For fuel flow, TAS and vertical speed in the descent and climb phases simply get the values at low altitude, near cruise altitude and then enter the average in Little Navmap. Tune the profile manually as needed.
It might also be beneficial to create different profiles for different cruise altitude ranges, especially for large complex aircraft.
I cannot see my aircraft
Little Navmap does not connect automatically to a simulator per default. You have to go to the main menu ->
Flight Simulator Connection.
The flight plan does not show up correctly in MSFS
MSFS has many issues loading flight plans. Additionally the format is not documented yet which requires a lot of guesswork.
The following issues are known so far:
- MSFS automatically adds transitions to approach procedures as well as SID and STAR if plan is of type IFR. Changing these results in a completely new routing.
- Saving a direct plan between two airports of type IFR will result in MSFS adding intermediate waypoints and procedures like SID and STAR.
- You cannot use airways or procedures for VFR flight plans. MSFS will quietly remove these.
- MSFS cannot load round trips where destination is equal to departure in some cases.
- MSFS uses turn anticipation which may result in wrong flight plan display in the GPS units or autopilot behavior. The GPS or autopilot will take a shortcut for hard turns which sometimes messes up a flight plan, for example. Turn anticipation is a function performed by FMS or RNAV devices to tell the pilot when to initiate a turn to the next waypoint on the programmed flight path to avoid overshooting the programmed course.
- Altitude at waypoints and sometimes the cruise altitude is ignored and replaced by MSFS’ own idea of a climb and descent profile which has nothing to do with the Little Navmap profile. This happens despite Little Navmap saving the altitude for each waypoint.
- Flight plan names must not contains special characters like umlauts or accents. Little Navmap replaces these automatically when exporting a plan.
Apart from these issues above you might see MSFS crashes or corrupted flight plans when loading.
Also read the chapter Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 Airports and Navdata in the Little Navmap user manual to minimize issues with different navdata.
Airports, scenery library and navigation data
I cannot see any airports or navaids
Load the scenery library from the simulator. See Load Scenery Library Dialog in the manual.
I added an airport and it does not show up in Little Navmap
You have to reload the scenery library. See Load Scenery Library Dialog. in the manual.
See topic below for limitations with MSFS.
Search for airport by country, state or city does not work
Data sources limit this functionality and it depends on the selected navdata source in menu
- Navigraph only: This has only limited administrative airport information. Only airport name (
Frankfurt am Main), ICAO code (
EDDF), ICAO region (
ED) and area code (
EUR) are available.
- All other modes: The completeness of administrative information depends on the airport. Administrative data (State, City, etc.) is often missing for X-Plane airports. Country information is missing in MSFS.
Airport runway numbers don’t match the runway numbers for procedures
This depends on the scenery mode as set in the menu
Scenery Library ->
Navigraph. The default is to use the flight
simulator scenery for runways and ILS and the Navigraph database for all airspaces, airways and all other navaids.
Runways are named by the magnetic direction which changes over the years. This results in airports renaming their runways from time to time. Therefore, mismatches between old airports, be it stock or add-on, can happen.
It’s neither a Little Navmap nor Navigraph issue. It is an unavoidable real world issue where simulator scenery or airports are not updated as fast as the real world airports.
See the Navdata chapter in the manual for more information.
For FSX or Perpar3D you can use the Airport Design Editor to change the runway numbers.
Use WED to change an airport for X-Plane.
How to add procedures to airports?
This is a very complex task.
For FSX or Perpar3D you can use the Airport Design Editor, add procedures to the airport and then switch off Navigraph in the scenery library menu. LNM will read the procedures from your add-on airport and you can use them like the others.
X-Plane: You can try to create a CIFP file but this is very complex and not recommended as stated on the page here.
A MSFS add-on does not show up after reloading the scenery library in Little Navmap
Encrypted add-on airports in MSFS cannot be read by Little Navmap.
The add-on is locked down with a DRM scheme if you find a file
BGL.fsarchive in the add-on folders
Note that Little Navmap reads only add-on scenery which has
"content_type": "CORE" or
"content_type": "SCENERY" set in the file
manifest.json of the add-on.
Some add-on developers still use wrong values like
"UNKNOWN" which will cause Little Navmap to ignore the scenery.
You can change the
manifest.json manually in a text editor and replace the wrong
See also User Manual - Know Issues.
How can I update the navdata to the latest cycle
You have to get a Navigraph subscription. This allows you to update the Little Navmap navdata to the latest.
I recommend to keep Little Navmap, the simulator and all tools on the same AIRAC cycle to avoid issues when loading flight plans.
I updated the navdata but it does not show up
You should use the automatic scan in the FMS Data Manager which usually finds the correct path.
See Little Navmap - Install Navigraph Updates to see how to set the path correctly if the automatic scan did not find the path.
I cannot see aprons and taxiways on the map
There are only white bars with a black outline showing the runways.
You probably selected
Use Navigraph for all Features in the
Scenery Library menu.
Use Navigraph for Navaids and Procedures
is the recommended mode which will show detailed stock or add-on airports mixed with Navigraph navaids.
See Navigation Databases in the manual.
I cannot choose a start position
You might use the wrong scenery mode
Use Navigraph for all Features.
See Navigation Databases and Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 Airports and Navdata for more information about this.
Use Navigraph for Navaids and Procedures or
Do not use Navigraph Database depending on information in above links (Navigraph MSFS update installed or not).
Some procedures or procedure legs are marked red in the selection/search tree
This can happen if navdata read from the simulator has errors or is incomplete. Note that this issue appears only when
Do not use Navigraph Database in the menu
The procedures cannot be used at all or only after confirming a warning dialog.
A currently known problem is missing recommended fix information for constant radius arc procedure legs in MSFS navdata.
Navaids from the X-Plane
user_nav.dat and the
user_fix.dat files do not show up in Little Navmap
LNM reads both the the
user_nav.dat and the
user_fix.dat files. The problem is that the navaids
are hidden by Navigraph data per default. Therefore, you have to switch to
Do not use Navigraph
database in the menu
Scenery Library to see the user navaids.
You also have to reload the LNM scenery library after adding or changing the user files.
The user navaids can be used in the X-Plane stock FMS and GPS. But keep in mind that the user navaids do not show up on the X-Plane internal map.
User Interface and Windows
How can I make the map window bigger
there are several options:
- Close the search window and/or close search options in airport search (three lines or “hamburger” button). These take a lot of space.
- Undock the search window, i.e. remove it from them main window and/or close it. Normally not needed while flying anyway. I have it only open for flight planning.
- Undock the map and move it to another screen if available.
- Take the search window and drop it on the progress window. This will create a window with search and progress tabs at the bottom.
Here are some tips for undocking (Ctrl-key, etc.) and moving around in the interface: User Interface - Dock Windows
How can I make the map window larger
The issue is similar to the one above.
It’s usually the search window which keeps the map from expanding. Disable all unneeded search options in the “hamburger” drop down menu on the top right in the airport search. Do the same for navaid search.
Additionally undock the search window and let it float. Since the search is usually only needed for
flight preparation you can close the search dock window when flying (
Alt-1). You can always open it quickly by hitting
I cannot resize a dock window
Freezing dock windows. Try one of the following:
- Main menu ->
Reset Window layout
- Double click on a window title to undock it, i.e. bring it into floating state. Double click again to put it back. Resizing should be allowed now.
Another reason can be the search window taking up too much space:
- Switch around in the search tabs or undock and dock one back by double clicking into the title bar.
- Undock the search window and let it float. This dock window is very expansive and squeezes other docks into the corners even when search options are disabled.
The map moves jerky or I see stutters in Little Navmap while scrolling or zooming
You might have selected too many details. Go to main menu ->
Parts of the flight plan disappear.
This is a known error and can happen at certain zoom distances with long flight plan legs.
I cannot remove a traffic pattern, a holding or measurement lines
You have to right-click on the hotspot.
Map is fuzzy and not updating
This can have several reasons:
- The server for the online map is down. These are free services where I have no influence on availability. Wait a few hours and they are usually back.
- You are using offline mode. This shows a red
Offlinewarning message in Little Navmap’s status bar. Disable offline mode in the file menu. See Work Offline.
- Your internet connection is broken or your firewall forbids network access for Little Navmap.
The map has a grayish or dark background when zooming in
You use an online map and have hillshading enabled where it has no coverage. Disable hillshading (Show Hillshading) or use another theme.
Why isn’t the terrain mesh shown far North and South?
I installed the Global mesh for LNM, but still nothing far North and South?
The GLOBAL elevation data is only for the elevation profile and altitude display in the status bar. Hillshading comes
from an open server and that has known limitations and bugs. Coverage is limited. You can use
another map theme which includes worldwide hillshading like the
Map background is black
Something went wrong when installing Little Navmap. Most likely the directory
data is missing.
Can I run the program on another client computer across the network
Yes. You can even mix different systems like using macOS for Little Navmap and Windows for flying. The client computer does not need a SimConnect or simulator installation at all.
See User Manual - Network Setup in the manual.
Can I see the program when running FSX, P3D, MSFS or X-Plane fullscreen
You can not. But you can:
- Use an old second monitor for the map before throwing it away.
- Take an old and slow notebook and use it in networked mode. Little Navmap is happy with 2 GB of ram and there are options to speed up map display. This notebook can run Linux or macOS. Have a look at the manual here: How to run a network Setup
- Run the simulator in seamless window mode. Then you can
The map window is not visible or shows only a gray surface
This can happen for various reasons (like a crash) or if you change the option Allow to undock the map window in the options dialog.
Window -> Reset Window Layout in the main menu to clean up the window layout.
Where is the options menu item on macOS
Options can be accessed in the application menu
Little Navmap ->
I get a message complaining about an unidentified developer on macOS
First move the extracted archive out of the folder
Then right click or
Ctrl+Click on the application and select
Open. Confirm the dialog to run the program.
You probably have to enter an administrator name and password once. The program can be started normally after this procedure.
Cannot run Little Navmap or Little Xpconnect on macOS Catalina
A new security feature in macOS forbids the execution of unsigned libraries or apps.
X-Plane and Little Xpconnect
I installed Little Xpconnect but cannot find it in the X-Plane menus
Little Xpconnect does not create any menus items in X-Plane. Installation was successful if you can find Little Xpconnect in the plugin information of the X-Plane plugin manager.
A pop up window says my versions are not compatible Little Xpconnect needs to be updated
Pop up window says my versions are not compatible and I need to upgrade Little Xpconnect despite having the latest Little Xpconnect installed.
There is probably an old version of Little Xpconnect installed wrongly somewhere in your X-Plane plugins path. Maybe it was installed accidentally in the plugins base path without the Little Xpconnect folder structure.
Check if there is a another folder with the Little Xpconnect executable (
lin.xpl depending on operating system) around or if the file is stored in the plugins folder on the top level.
You can see the path of the (wrongly) loaded plugin in the X-Plane plugin manager.
Weather in X-Plane does not match what Little Navmap displays
The X-Plane weather interface is very limited.
Little Navmap can only read the X-Plane weather file
METAR.rwx and display only the nearest weather report for an airport in some cases.
There is no information available how and if X-Plane interpolates weather between stations. Therefore, nearest weather and even station weather might not match.
I get an error message about missing directories when loading X-Plane scenery
Read inactive Scenery Entries: disabled in the scenery loading dialog and X-Plane’s
stale entries. Fix this by restarting X-Plane which will remove the old entries.
You might as well enable
Read inactive Scenery Entries: which will cause Little Navmap to ignore
and read all. See Load Scenery Library Dialog.
Airports missing in X-Plane scenery after reloading
If you have
Read inactive Scenery Entries: enabled: Restart X-Plane so that it can update the
I still see an older AIRAC cycle in the Scenery Libary menu for X-Plane
You have to reload the scenery library in Little Navmap after updating the navdata in the simulator. Little Navmap will show the correct cycle and navdata after reloading.
Little Xpconnect does not load in Ubuntu 18.04 or derived Linux distributions
The problem is caused by a missing library. You can install this manually.
libicu55 was supported until Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial, but it is compatible with 18.04 Bionic as well.
Add the following repository and install the package
sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security main" sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install libicu55
Thanks to Wolfgang for the tip!