Alex’ Projects ► Little Navmap - Frequently asked Questions
Little Navmap - Frequently asked Questions
Die deutsche Übersetzung ist noch in Arbeit. German translation is work in progress.
You might also have a look at the appendix in the manual.
Use your browser search function (usually
Ctrl+F) to find topics or keywords.
- How to update the program
- Where are the log and configuration files?
- How can I create a flight plan
- How to backup userdata
- I cannot resize a dock window
- How can I make the map window larger
- Navaids or airways are red in the flight plan table
- I added an airport and it does not show up in Little Navmap
- X-Plane: I installed Little Xpconnect but cannot find it in the X-Plane menus
- How can I update the navdata to the latest cycle
- I updated the navdata but it does not show up
- I cannot see aprons and taxiways on the map
- Why can I see only the X-Plane connect option
- Cannot connect to FSX or P3D
- The program crashes
- Lines disappearing
- Can I run the program on another client computer across the network
- Can I see the program when running FSX, P3D or X-Plane fullscreen
- Cannot remove the traffic pattern or measurement lines
- Map is fuzzy and not updating
- The map has a grayish backgroud
- Why isn’t the terrain mesh shown far North and South?
- Search result empty
- Weather in X-Plane does not match what Little Navmap displays
- I get a message complaining about an unidentified developer on macOS
- I see waiting for data forever in the statusbar
- Map background is black
- I cannot see any airports or navaids
- I get an error message about missing directories when loading X-Plane scenery
- Airports missing in X-Plane scenery after reloading
- I found an issue or have a proposal
- I get fuel flow indications that don’t match Little Navmap’s values
- Fuel planning and collection gives wrong fuel values
- My anti-virus or anti-malware complains about Little Navmap
- How to add procedures to airports?
- Airport runway numbers don’t match the runway numbers for procedures
- Search for airport by country, state or city is unreliable in X-Plane
- I’d like to completely remove the program and all of its traces
- How can I make the map window bigger
How to update the program
You might either:
- Delete the previous version of Little Navmap and install the new one in the same place.
- Install the new version in a new folder, e.g. by using the version as a directory name suffix.
In either case do not merge the two old and new directories. Remains of previous versions might cause trouble.
Where are the log and configuration files?
The files are linked in the about dialog of Little Navmap (
About Little Navmap). For Windows these are:
Details can be found in the Files chapter in the manual.
How can I create a flight plan
Zoom to an airport in the map and right click on it. Select
Set ... as Flight Plan Departure. Look for another airport
on the map, right click and select
Set ... as Flight Plan Destination.
That’s it. You just built a simple flight plan.
Have a look at the Tutorials which are also linked in the help menu. These help to get around in the program.
How to backup userdata
One way to backup is export all into a CSV file. This covers all used fields.
You can also backup the database directly. The userpoints are stored in a SQLite database. If interested you can look into this database using tools like this one: SQLitebrowser
The main database is
$HOME/.config/ABarthel/little_navmap_db/little_navmap_userdata.sqlite in macOS or Linux.
You have to close Little Navmap before creating a backup or replacing the databases.
Little Navmap also creates three rolling backups (
little_navmap_userdata.sqlite.1, etc.) on startup which you can use
if you deleted something accidentally.
I cannot resize a dock window
Freezing dock windows. Try one of the following:
- Main menu ->
Reset Window layout
- Double click on a window title to undock it, i.e. bring it into floating state. Double click again to put it back. Resizing should be allowed now.
Another reason can be the search window taking up too much space:
- Switch around in the search tabs or undock and dock one back by double clicking into the title bar.
- Undock the search window and let it float. This dock window is very expansive and squeezes other docks into the corners even when search options are disabled.
How can I make the map window larger
The issue is similar to the one above.
It’s usually the search window which keeps the map from expanding. Disable all unneeded search options in the “hamburger” drop down menu on the top right in the airport search. Do the same for navaid search.
Additionally undock the search window and let it float. Since the search is usuall only needed for
flight preparation you can close the search dock window when flying (
Alt-1). You can always open it quickly by hitting
Navaids or airways are red in the flight plan table
This can happen if you load a flight plan which was made using older navdata.
It might contain waypoints that were removed later or radio navaids that were decommissioned. These cannot be found in later AIRAC cycles and therefore not in Little Navmap’s database. These are shown in red and are treated like user defined flight plan waypoints in Little Navmap.
Airways are displayed in red if they do not exist or the minimum or maximum airway altitude restrictions are violated by the selected cruise altitude when loading the flight plan.
I added an airport and it does not show up in Little Navmap
You have to reload the scenery library. See Load Scenery Library Dialog. in the manual.
X-Plane: I installed Little Xpconnect but cannot find it in the X-Plane menus
Little Xpconnect does not create any menus items in X-Plane. Installation was successful if you can find Little Xpconnect in the plugin information of the X-Plane plugin manager.
How can I update the navdata to the latest cycle
You have to get a Navigraph subscription. This allows you to update the Little Navmap navdata to the latest.
I updated the navdata but it does not show up
You should use the automatic scan in the FMS Data Manager which usually finds the correct path.
See Little Navmap - Install Navigraph Updates to see how to set the path correctly if the automatic scan did not find the path.
I cannot see aprons and taxiways on the map
There are only white bars with a black outline showing the runways.
You probably selected
Use Navigraph for all Features in the
Scenery Library menu.
Use Navigraph for Navaids and Procedures
is the recommended mode which will show detailed stock or add-on airports mixed with Navigraph navaids.
See Navigation Databases in the manual.
Why can I see only the X-Plane connect option
Little Navmap did not recognize SimConnect. X-Plane does not use this. Therefore, this option is always present.
Little Navmap is build based on the FSX SP2 SimConnect version 61259. You have to install this version. See Other Simulators than FSX SP2 in the manual.
Note that the installation is skipped if this SimConnect version is already installed. Also, you cannot uninstall SimConnect which is no issue since it does not take much space and does not harm otherwise.
Cannot connect to FSX or P3D
First See Other Simulators than FSX SP2 in the manual.
If that does not help: Check if there is a file
C:\users\YOURUSERNAME\Documents\SimConnect.cfg. This is sometimes used
to create remote connections with SimConnect. Rename this file. This might fix the connection problems.
The program crashes
Rename the settings directory which also contains the scenery databases. In Windows 7, 8 or 10 these can be found in
Install the Visual C++ Redistributable Packages as outlined here in the manual: Installation - Windows.
These redistributable packages do no harm, do not take much space and are usually needed by other programs too. In some cases it also helped to install the 2008 and 2017 redistributables.
Parts of the flight plan disappear. This is a known error and can happen at certain zoom distances with long flight plan legs.
Can I run the program on another client computer across the network
Yes. You can even mix different systems like using macOS for Little Navmap and Windows for flying. The client computer does not need a SimConnect or simulator installation at all.
See How to run a network Setup in the manual.
Can I see the program when running FSX, P3D or X-Plane fullscreen
You can not. But you can:
- Use an old second monitor for the map before throwing it away.
- Take an old and slow notebook and use it in networked mode. Little Navmap is happy with 2 GB of ram and there are options to speed up map display. This notebook can run Linux or macOS. Have a look at the manual here: How to run a network Setup
- Run the simulator in seamless window mode. Then you can
Cannot remove the traffic pattern or measurement lines
You have to right-click on the hotspot. That is:
- The small disk at the runway threshold for the traffic pattern.
- The center spot of all distance or range circles.
- The small cross at the end of all measurement lines.
The cursor shape changes to a hand if you hover the mouse over such a spot. Then you can use one of the Mouse Clicks or the context menu to do something with the feature.
Map is fuzzy and not updating
This can have several reasons:
- The server for the online map is down. These are free services where I have no influence on availability. Wait a few hours and they are usually back.
- You are using offline mode. This shows a red
Offlinewarning message in Little Navmap’s status bar. Disable offline mode in the file menu. See Work Offline.
- Your internet connection is broken or your firewall forbids network access for Little Navmap.
- Little Navmap cannot establish an encrypted connection to the map server. See Installation - Windows in the manual for more information how to fix this.
The map has a grayish backgroud
You use an online map and have hillshading enabled where it has no coverage. Disable hillshading (Show Hillshading) or use another theme.
Why isn’t the terrain mesh shown far North and South?
I installed the Global mesh for LNM, but still nothing far North and South?
The GLOBAL elevation data is only for the elevation profile and altitude display in the status bar. Hillshading comes
from an open server and that has known limitations and bugs. Coverage is limited. You can use
another map theme which includes worldwide hillshading like the
Search result empty
Check the drop down menu for the change indicator
* and the search fields for any remaining text if the distance
search does not give any or unexpected results. Use
Reset Search in the context menu of
the result table or press
Ctrl+R to clear all search criteria.
Note that using an ICAO code for searching will temporarily override all other options. This helps to do a quick search for an airport.
Weather in X-Plane does not match what Little Navmap displays
The X-Plane weather interface is very limited.
Little Navmap can only read the X-Plane weather file
METAR.rwx and display only the nearest weather report for an airport in some cases.
There is no information available how and if X-Plane interpolates weather between stations. Therefore, nearest weather and even station weather might not match. Additionally, X-Plane seems to have problems reading certain METARs, completely bails out for the corresponding station and falls back to ISA standard conditions.
I get a message complaining about an unidentified developer on macOS
Right click or
Ctrl+Click on the application and select
You probably have to enter an administrator name and password once. The program can be started normally after this procedure.
I see waiting for data forever in the statusbar
- You zoomed in too deep where the online map does not support more details.
- The online map server is not available (Map is fuzzy and not updating).
- You have hillshading enabled where it is not available (The map has a grayish backgroud).
Map background is black
Something went wrong when installing Little Navmap. Most likely the directory
data is missing.
I cannot see any airports or navaids
Load the scenery library from the simulator. See Load Scenery Library Dialog in the manual.
I get an error message about missing directories when loading X-Plane scenery
Read inactive Scenery Entries: disabled in the scenery loading dialog and X-Plane’s
stale entries. Fix this by restarting X-Plane which will remove the old entries.
You might as well enable
Read inactive Scenery Entries: which will cause Little Navmap to ignore
and read all. See Load Scenery Library Dialog.
Airports missing in X-Plane scenery after reloading
If you have
Read inactive Scenery Entries: enabled: Restart X-Plane so that it can update the
I found an issue or have a proposal
All ideas and bugs are collected in the Github Issues for Little Navmap.
First check if your idea or finding is already covered there.
If not you can register at Github and write an issue. Alternatively, you can send me an email and I put this on my internal list or create an issue for bigger tasks.
I get fuel flow indications that don’t match Little Navmap’s values
Fuel flow in the tab
Performance of Little Navmap does not match to what the aircraft is showing.
An aircraft add-on probably uses doctored values to workaround simulator limitations. This happens often with complex study level add-ons and might affect fuel calculation, planning and especially collection.
See next issue below.
Fuel planning and collection gives wrong fuel values
This is related to wrong fuel indications of an add-on aircraft. See above.
You can still create an aircraft performance profile manually and ignore the indications.
Set TAS and fuel flow for typical cruise level.
For fuel flow, TAS and vertical speed in the descent and climb phases simply get the values at low altitude, near cruise altitude and then enter the average in Little Navmap. Tune the profile manually as needed.
It might also be beneficial to create different profiles for different cruise altitude ranges, especially for large complex aircraft.
My anti-virus or anti-malware complains about Little Navmap
This is usually a false positive.
I usually upload all Zip files to VirusTotal before making them public. This ensures that the files are checked by 50 or more anti-virus programs.
You can send your downloaded files to VirusTotal and you will get the report from my uploads immediately.
The results of
LittleNavmap-win-2.2.2.zip can be seen here.
One false positive might occur and is no reason for concern.
How to add procedures to airports?
For FSX or Perpar3D you can use the Airport Design Editor, add procedures to the airport and then switch off Navigraph in the scenery library menu. LNM will read the procedures from your add-on airport and you can use them like the others.
X-Plane: You can try to create a CIFP file but this is very complex and not recommended as stated on the page here.
Airport runway numbers don’t match the runway numbers for procedures
This depends on the scenery mode as set in the menu
Scenery Library ->
Navigraph. The default is to use the flight
simulator scenery for runways and ILS and the Navigraph database for all airspaces, airways and all other navaids.
Runways are named by the magnetic direction which changes over the years. This results in airports renaming their runways from time to time. Therefore, mismatches between old airports, be it stock or add-on, can happen.
It’s neither a Little Navmap nor Navigraph issue. I’s an unavoidable real world issue where simulator scenery or airports are not updated as fast as the real world airports.
See the Navdata chapter in the manual for more information.
For FSX or Perpar3D you can use the Airport Design Editor to change the runway numbers.
Use WED to change an airport for X-Plane.
Search for airport by country, state or city is unreliable in X-Plane
Data sources limit this functionality and it depends on the selected navdata source in menu
- Navigraph only: This has only limited administrative airport information. Only airport name (
Frankfurt am Main), ICAO code (
EDDF), ICAO region (
ED) and area code (
EUR) are available.
- All other modes: The completeness of administrative information depends on the airport. Administrative data (State, City, etc.) is often missing for X-Plane airports.
You can use WED to change the administrative information of an airport.
For add-on airports you can also use a text editor to change this. Below an example with misspelled city name:
I 1100 Generated by WorldEditor 1.7.0a19 1 354 1 0 EDDF Frankfurt am Main 1302 city Frankfurt-am-Main 1302 country Germany 1302 datum_lat 50.033305556 1302 datum_lon 8.570455556 1302 faa_code 1302 iata_code FRA 1302 icao_code EDDF 1302 region_code ED 1302 state Hesse ...
I’d like to completely remove the program and all of its traces
All files and folders created by Little Navmap are described in the chapter Files in the manual.
Little Navmap does not create any registry entries on Windows.
How can I make the map window bigger
there are several options:
- Close the search window and/or close search options in airport search (three lines or “hamburger” button). These take a lot of space.
- Undock the search window, i.e. remove it from them main window and/or close it. Normally not needed while flying anyway. I have it only open for flight planning.
- Undock the map and move it to another screen if available.
- Take the search window and drop it on the progress window. This will create a window with search and progress tabs at the bottom.
Here are some tips for undocking (Ctrl-key, etc.) and moving around in the interface: User Interface